Sunday, June 20, 2010

If a couple has a high chance of having children born with health issues, can they use birth control


If a couple has a high chance of having children born with health issues, can they use birth control?
According to the church? Say they had a 75% chance of having an autistic child, or one with heart problems.
Religion & Spirituality - 9 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You should ALWAYS use birth control if you are not trying to have a child.
2 :
My church is fine with BCP, its only the catholics as far as I know that consider it a sin.
3 :
The curch does not believe in birth control. Remember, the only reason for marriage is for procreation. Thus sayeth the church and is given as the main reason for being against gay marriage. If you do not want to have children, or can't because of any reason (homosexuality, unable to conconceive, too old, etc.) then your marriage is illegal in the eyes of God and you are living in sin. Thus sayeth the Church. I disagree, but who am I to argue with so many Conservatives and Christian religious leaders?
4 :
I see a big difference between methods which prevent the ovule getting fertilized vs methods aiming to kill/destroy the fertilized ovule. A couple can use methods following the first approach.
5 :
This is a medical a medical matter, you should speak to your doctors about all the problems, they would be the ones to help you if your child needs help. The church will not be bring up the child. The church cannot give you practical help, only comfort
6 :
Since , according to church, they have sex only to have children, they will not use birth control, they will abstain, should they be so inclined....
7 :
Children who are autistic or have heart problems are still capable of love and being loved. So there is no reason to assume that the birth of such a child is such a horrible tragedy, the couple should not allow their love to be made physically manifest in offspring.
8 :
Personally, I am not Catholic, but I still oppose birth control. My opposition to abortion is based on logic and science; however, my opposition to birth control is strictly religious, because I believe that if God wants us to have children, we shouldn't try and tell Him we know better. Since my stance to using birth control is purely on religious grounds, I do not look down on others for using birth control. After all, I would much rather a couple use birth control, rather than find themselves with a pre-born child and aborting him/her (I'm morally opposed to murder).
9 :
As far as Catholics are concerned the only godly way you can use birth control is if you live in Africa and one of the people in the relationship has AIDS. Other than that - It's a nono.




Read more discussions :