Friday, October 8, 2010

Abused as a child,does that lead to mental health problems later on


Abused as a child,does that lead to mental health problems later on?
i'm the third child in my family. my mum is very strict on us,she practically screams at us everyday,all the time.sometimes she even hits us when we don't do something correctly.anyways,i realised that my brother,my sister and me,all of us had/have mental health issues.i was diagnosed with OCD,anxiety and eating disorders at the age of 13.my brother's case was worse and my sister had self-harm issues. although we all recovered (i'm 16 now),it makes me wonder. is there a link between abuse at a young age and mental health issues later on?i'm asking this because i have a little sister,a 10 year old.my mum screams at her a lot,and although i try my best to protect her,sometimes i can't,because my mum screams at me too.i don't want her to go down the path that my brother,me and my sister went through,as mental disorders are well..horrid.
Psychology - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yeah.Sometimes when little kids are mentally disturbed at a very small age, it goes on in their mind until they figure it out.Whenever your mother screams at your little sister, just try to comfort her when your mother is not there.Try telling your sister to just forget about that or change the subject with a distraction like a joke or a game.Since your sister is only 10, she will go through very tough times with mental disturbances since growing children need lots of love at this time.
2 :
I agree with Clara. Although it might not always be possible, (when you are not physically there) try to comfort your sister and let her know that you are there for her whenever this happens, which by the sounds of it is quite a lot. Make sure she knows she is loved and hopefully nothing really extreme will develop.
3 :
The abuse probably caused your OCD Yes this do affect you later in life. Get some therapy before you date anybody, because your likely to pick the wrong person.
4 :
yeah, and record you mother going off her head. Make a cd and replay it back to her so the cow can get a wakening call that her behavior is off. See if you Dad can sort her out. Tell her when you train a pet you do it with biscuits and affection better then when you smack it as it will just behave worse. Tell her she doesnt need to scream- she just needs to get some inteligence and use communication to get her point across. Get an ipod for your sister and tell her to wear it in your mothers company. Your mum has issues and should think about her kids more. Or get out and get a life so she has other things on.




Read more discussions :