Tuesday, May 1, 2012

child custody and mental health issues


child custody and mental health issues?
I am going through a court case with my ex boyfriend and have recently received word that he has been put in Montana's State Mental Hospital because he has become a danger to himself and others. The court case involves the issue of Custody between him and I. Can someone fill me in on the statues/limitations,rules,guidelines, info on the matter of Mental Health (being placed in a mental institute) and a judge's POV on things? I have a clean record, have reliable income and I have an apartment. My ex has just been put into the mental hospital for 90 days and has a record of mental health issues. What are my chances of getting custody of my son?
Law & Ethics - 6 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Without all the details, I'm going to guess that you'll get full custody. Once he's released from the hospital, he'll need to have a psychiatrist indicate that he's safe and stable before he can have unsupervised visitation.
2 :
They aren't going to give custody of a child to someone that has been adjudicated as a danger to himself.
3 :
you are probably going to get him unless you are moremental than him or he is not really mental.
4 :
You need to have proof that he is in there and it is against his will. You can get this by subpoenaing his mental health records, or requesting a mental health evaluation be done. Once you have proof I highly recommend you contact the judge and ask for an emergency hearing because a person who has been deemed to be a danger to himself and others has no right to make legal decisions for a child.
5 :
the chances of him getting custody of your son is not good. you will probably be awarded custody. the presiding judge can order the case to be reviewed after your boyfriend has successfully completed treatment for his disorder. at that point the judge may grant him some sort of visitation rights.
6 :
Males fighting for custody and access rights can develop problems with depression due to the flop sided system. I teach fathers how to get custody, and I always advise them getting counseling.




Read more discussions :