Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Need info power of attorney or health care proxy of your Disabled (special needs ) 18+ Child


Need info power of attorney or health care proxy of your Disabled (special needs ) 18+ Child ?
Do you have power of attorney or health care proxy of your Disabled (special needs ) 18+ Child ? My son is going to be 18 .I have a few questions .He has multiple diagnoses . On some levels he is age appropriate but on life skills he is bordering 14/15.Now i don't want on his 18th birthday to declare him incompetent because he isn't. I don't want guardianship of an adult child . But he will NEED assist with legal documents college apps Doctors appointments medication management. so i am going to need documentation that i can sign his signature for him and make legal decisions for him and permission to speak to me now that he is an adult .So what steps did you take ? Did to get power of attorney and health care proxy ? did you need a Lawyer or advocate ? or is there another solution ? Thank you Okay to clarify He doesnt comprehend things he is sighning .Legaly after 18 providers and such CANT speek with me as he would be an adult .Yes he can take his own medications as he does but the decision making when he is asked by he providers are not clear to him.
Law & Ethics - 2 Answers
 

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am an adult disabled child I'm 23 i'm disabled from my leg i had leg disease as a child and when i turned 18 they made my mother my provider. i'm considered completely disabled they review me every couple years to make sure i'm still disabled which i am cuz i have no hip in my leg but you can get someone else to be a provider for your son if you dont want to be the government pays my mother to be my provider and she takes care of me you just need to sign papers and we didnt need an attorney. also i sign all my own paper work i dont need my mother and my mother is not my guardian she is just my provider. you can do that with your son if you go do to the social security office they will explain all this to you!
2 :
If you need legal advice regarding your situation, you can try looking at Avvo. It's a website where real lawyers answer your questions, for free. Hope this helps. Megan from Avvo





Read more discussions :