Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Has any of you ever used NYS Child Health Plus insurance


Has any of you ever used NYS Child Health Plus insurance?
My husband just lost his job and with it his benefits. We have a 22 month old daughter and I don't want her to go without any coverage! He just lost it so we haven't even started a moving on plan yet but this is my #1 issue!! I read a bit about it on the NYS site but I was looking for personal experience. Do you get to choose your own Dr? How much does it over?? Thanks so much for your help! I live in Niagara Country, NY.. thanks so much for the first answer!
Insurance - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I have never used it myself, but I am a billing manager for a medical facility. Shop very carefully before you select a plan. They are not all alike. The available plans depend on where you live. Assuming you live in one of the 5 boros of NYC or Nassau county, you have some excellent choices. You most likely will have to select a primary care physician, but most of the networks are so large that shouldn't be a problem. I suggest you call her pediatrician and ask which plans they participate with. Good luck!
2 :
Child Health Plus (CHP) is a great plan. It covers pretty much anything - soup to nuts, often including dental - until the kids are 19 years old, and the premiums are very affordable. (Most of the ones I know of are less than $50 a month per child.) Since there are varied CHP plans, call your pediatrician and ask which ones they take. Often, you do get a choice between several plans (In my area - which is Orange/Rockland County - we have the choice between Blue Cross Blue Shield, Wellcare, Fidelis, and several others - there may be other choices where you are.) You do get to select the doctor - as long as they're on the plan, and most of them are - but sometimes, they mis-key the selection, so when you get the cards, double check the PCP (primary care physician) to make sure they put the right one. If they didn't, call them right away so they can fix it and send you a new card. You also have to be dilligent about recertifiying every year - otherwise, they drop you like a hot rock. (Recertifiying takes about six weeks, so make sure you get the paperwork at least eight weeks before you need to!) Honestly, I wish they had "Grownup Health Plus", it's such a good deal!