Thursday, March 20, 2008

is my child's health at risk if my puppy has tapeworms



is my child's health at risk if my puppy has tapeworms?
i googled tapeworms and that's what my puppy has is my sons heath as well as me and my husbands health at risk????? 
Dogs - 9 Answers



Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Yep. They can be transferred. De-worming is very important and you need more than one. Vet time.
2 :
wash your hands and keep you son away from him. go to the vet and get de-wormer
3 :
As long as you don't get the dogs feces in your mouth (child touching it outside, dog licking himself then your face) you will be fine. Get your dog to the vet asap to worm him. There are over the counter meds for worms, but my vet told me that over the counter wormers don't work nearly as good as the ones they have... they could have just been going for more money out of me though...
4 :
wow tapeworms... that's one sticky situation... sorry i couldn't resist.
5 :
If your dog has tape worms more than likely it has or had fleas as that is how they get them. Make sure you treat that also. I took in a stray who had pups and was concerned abt my son getting worms...vet and pediatrician assured me that it is extremely rare and not to be concerned at all. Just make sure you wash ur hands after handling their feces.
6 :
Only if you let it EAT DOGSHI*!!!!!! So..........DON'T!
7 :
Yes, you can get tape worms from ingesting the eggs. Go see the vet & get a de-wormer, dont forget to steam clean any carpets, little pieces of the tape worm will come out of the dog, fall to the floor, & die ( covered in the tape worm eggs).
8 :
I wouldn't say your health is at risk. But you can get worms from the feces, if you ingest it. Practice good hygiene, wash your hands after handling the puppy, and keep your hands away from your face. Take the puppy to the vet and get him wormed. The store bought stuff can be dangerous (risk of overdosing the pup, not getting all the worms). If your son is very young, keep the puppy out of his reach or watch your son closely. You want to keep those little fingers away from his mouth. Check out this website, and check in at the vet's office. If you somehow manage to ingest worm segments or fecal matter, your doctor can give you medicine to get rid of them in no time, with no time off from work!
9 :
Tapeworms can be picked up by humans. If your pup has been to the vet recently you can usually call and as long as theyhave seen the pup and know its weight they will let you pick up some cestex or whatever your vet uses.Tapeworms are caused by the dog chewing on its skin that has to have fleas. If your pup has not seen the vet, it may need some care other than worm and flea care. I would call the childs pediatrician and let them know what is going on. Good Luck!





Read more discussions :