Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Is it bad for the child's health if a parent constantly picks on their child


Is it bad for the child's health if a parent constantly picks on their child?
I know someone really really really well and her mom and dad keep insulting her. She looks and is (she told me) afraid of her parents insulting her. From "I'm disappointed in you" to "Your selfish" to fake (you can tell they aren't really genuine) "I love you" and more. Everyday, though, I think my friend is losing more and more self confidence and I'm worried that she'll never have self confidence ever again. What should I tell her to do? Don't tell me to stay out of it because I tried and my friend keeps looking down. Please help. I think she's getting less closer to her family every day because of it (she has a brother and her parents don't insult them). Please help, thanks. How do you get proof?
Parenting - 9 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
yes it give them low self esttem and stress that one of the top causes of child and teen suicide
2 :
tell her that her parents are wrong. give her compliments and encourage her every time you see her! tell her things like, "how could you be selfish when you are such a nice person?" or "your parents are only disappointed in themselves, and they take it out on you to make themselves feel better." sometimes adults get too wrapped up in thier own lives that they forget what is really important, and they don't realize that they are actually hurting the ones that are closest to them. just be there for your friend, and always let her know what a wonderful friend she is to you. she really needs it!
3 :
Yes, it is called emotional abuse and that is unhealthy. see website below on info American Humane: Newsroom: Fact Sheets: Emotional Abuse Emotional abuse of a child รข€” also referred to as psychological maltreatment ... The parent or caregiver consistently prevents the child from having normal ...
4 :
Goodness yes it can be bad for a child's health and emotional well being if they're constantly being picked on and insulted. It can be considered verbal & emotial abuse. It is especially bad when it's a child's parents because those are usually the most important people and have the most influence automatically. It's very hard to shrug of something hurt full a parent says.
5 :
tell her to tell her parents she dont like it and tell her to tell her parentss to f off
6 :
its against the law to mentally abuse your child.no one like to be belittle as you said it lows your self worth.she could call child protective services and speak to someone about this abuse they will remove her from this situation.i was in same situation i felt bad all the time because my father use to beat me and talk badly to me at one point i wanted to just go sleep and not awaken so i decide when i turn 16 i was leaving so i did i been out my parents house now 36 years and dont miss a day of leaving my parents house.
7 :
so when your child messes up you cant tell them they are wrong and that they've disappointed you? I think you only here her side of the story. I think you should stay out of it your not part of her family and what are you going to do?
8 :
those parents are BAd parents. just cuz ur not beating up ur child doesnt mean ur abusing them. they are emotionally abusing her. they can go to jail for that. making their child feel bad and neglected all the time is abuse. saying things like u always mess things up, why u gotta do this, do that, get out, i hate you, i dont want u, i shoulda aborted u and stuff like that all the time is considered abuse and they can go to jail. but i dont htink ur friend would want to do that cuz no matter how much somebody hates their parents, i doubt they would wanna see them go to jail.
9 :
If that is really what is going on then yes it can be emotionally damaging. However I remember just a couple of years ago my now 17yr old daughter went through a time period where she thought I was "always" putting her or her friends down. If I told her I didn't like an outfit she would say things like " you hate all my clothes!" or if I told her I didn't like her hanging with someone she would ask " why are you always putting down who I'm hanging with?" She also would tell me things like " You never put (her sister) down." You are always putting me down". My oldest went through a period of "I have to do everything" if you asked her to do anything. So before doing anything to help your friend you might want to see if you can find out both sides of the story. If her parents are really being mean to her I think you should suggest she talk to the school councilor. BTW Both of my girls got past their exaggerations.





Read more discussions :