Friday, June 20, 2008

I am currently required to pay 72% of health costs for my children, what if Ex decides to go out of network



I am currently required to pay 72% of health costs for my children, what if Ex decides to go out of network?
My ex is asking me to pick up charges for a Doctor she knows is out of our Health network for our child, Am I still responsible? Doesn't she have to stay within the network? What would stop an Ex from purposely taking them out of network to cause me a financial burden? 
Marriage & Divorce - 4 Answers




Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
if you are court ordered to pay it than you can go file to get it changed most county courthouses have self help centers and they will tell you what paperwork you need to file in order to get it changed
2 :
Well my husband has to provide insurance for his other child, which is fine, but the kids mother threw a fit that she couldn't use it at the current Drs office. She took my husband to court and everything and tried to get a judge to make it mandatory for my husband to pay any "extra" costs. the judge basically told her, "Look this is the insurance that his work provides, and he is holding up his end of the deal by carrying insurance for the child, if you want to remain at the same Dr then You (you being the mother) will have to pay for any additional costs" It may be different in your state. Make some phone calls and ask questions, it surly wouldnt hurt.
3 :
Is it the only dr who can meet your child's needs, or is she just being annoying? I think a judge would require her to stay in network, as AhManDuh says, or tell her to pay, UNLESS it's the only dr who can meet the child's needs.
4 :
What does your decree from Family Court say? If it does NOT say she MUST use in network doctors for your child,and she does NOT have to consult with you over what physician she uses, then she has that option and you can't prevent it, nor can you say I won't pay for it because I will only pay for in network medical care. I have never heard of such a stipulation being made by the Courts, to be perfectly honest with you. And most health insurance plans will pay for out of network doctors...you just end up with a larger co-pay, that's all. To refuse under the circumstances I outlined would put you in violation of a court order....do you really want to deal with the after math of that? What you should have done is when the hearing was taking place, ASK the Court if the stipulation that she stay in network if at all possible.Understand that under certain circumstances medical care can only be given by an out of network doctor, especially in an emergency...it happens.




Read more discussions :