Friday, November 16, 2012

School is denying my child playing a sport due to no health insurance


School is denying my child playing a sport due to no health insurance!!?
Is this standard and is it legal to deny them that privilege in school? With 10's of millions of Americans without health care, and parents who have jobs that don't even offer health care, isn't this a little discriminatory against the children? I have virtually always paid out of pocket for her medical expenses, including her sports physical recently that's required in order for her to play. She was told by the coach that without health insurance they can't play and she is heartbroken. What can be done about this, if anything? In today's economy, I'm happy to have a job and work hard to provide the best of everything I can. Purchasing health insurance is not even an option right now with my current budget. Thanks in advance for any and all replies.
Primary & Secondary Education - 5 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I know my daughter's school has a waiver that you have to sign saying you have no insurance and that you are liable for any healthcare bills.
2 :
It is illegal and discrimination all a school sports program can require is that your child have a sports phyisical you need to fight this issue
3 :
Each state (and possibly each school system) sets its own rules on educational and other issues. Requiring health insurance seems like a pretty logical requirement for a child involved in sports because they can suffer injuries that are expensive to treat. My daughter broke both bones in her forearm playing team basketball and required one surgery (and overnight hospital stay) to set the arm and another surgery the following year to remove the plates put in her arm to stabilize it. The costs of treating her were covered by our health insurance. Many schools offer low-cost health insurance programs for their students.
4 :
Most states have CHIP - have you seen if she is eligible? Its a free or very low cost health coverage for chidren.
5 :
"With 10's of millions of Americans without health care, and parents who have jobs that don't even offer health care, isn't this a little discriminatory against the children?" No, it's not. Child sports injuries can sometimes be severe and frankly, if a school district does not want to incur the risk, that is very understandable. Because if the parents don't have health insurance for their children, then who is going to pay for possible injuries? The main purpose of schools is to give basic education to kids, not to promote athletic activities. And school budgets are under stress too in this economy because the tax base is smaller. School systems get most of their money from property taxes. It's totally reasonable to me that a school may choose not to pay the extra liability insurance premiums for student sports. "In today's economy, I'm happy to have a job and work hard to provide the best of everything I can. Purchasing health insurance is not even an option right now with my current budget." Which for real, I do understand. So please understand I do not mean it as a cut in any way when I say this, but the fact is that if you don't have health insurance for your daughter, what are doing is really rolling the dice that nothing will go wrong that you can't afford. And playing sports is risky. Yes, it is unfair to your daughter that she can't play sports in school. And I totally get it that she is upset. It's not right. Maybe you can talk with other parents and coaches/phys ed teachers and try to come up with a way to find the funds to let all the kids be able to play. Edit: I answered that it wasn't discrimination in her case and gave my reasons but I'm not so sure when I think about it. It isn't intended to be malicious but not letting kids participate in sports or any other school activities because of financial reasons is a kind of discrimination.






Read more discussions :