Monday, November 8, 2010

As an atheist would you ever try to talk a little, young child out of believing God purposely


As an atheist would you ever try to talk a little, young child out of believing God purposely?
*have you ever or ever considered as an atheist to take a Christian pastoral job at a children's hospital or more importantly a children's mental health hospital to only tell the children that God doesn't exist, and smile in their face if they seem confused or show a hint of believing you? *Even if you aren't religious wouldn't this make you evil in logical terms or as some put it in terms of humanism wouldn't this be hateful acts to fellow humans? *If you were to do this what level of morals would this measure to?
Religion & Spirituality - 25 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
why in the world would an atheist take a christian pastoral job? i can see why a christian would "pretend" to be an atheist, but not the other way around
2 :
In other words, atheist brainwashing?
3 :
Your question is as stupid as your belief. Are you on the welfare too? Are we paying for your lifestyle?
4 :
It is no more evil than talking a child out of believing in Santa, or the Tooth Fairy. If you consider that evil, than i guess talking kids out of believing the same ridiculous myth of "God" is evil.
5 :
No. What's the point? I only debate religion, not try to convert people from it. Actually, if it wasn't for debating religion, I probably wouldn't have studied and researched history and certain sciences. Debating religion has actually inspired me to expand my knowledge. How about that.
6 :
Why bother? I plan to become a teacher. I don't need to tell kids what to believe, the evidence speaks for itself.
7 :
a) i wouldn't take a pasotral job b) it would be wrong because if those kids are dying i'd leave them with their beliefs. if they can comfort them that is good.
8 :
No, my problem lies with the fact that people try to impose their beliefs on children. To engage in the very thing that I find so repugnant would make me hypocritical
9 :
No, I wouldn't bother telling other peopes children anything unless they told my child or children about such rot.
10 :
No, I do not believe children should be involved in the debate of God. I believe that this should be taught when they are older and wiser on what is real and what is a fairy tale. Then they can choose on their own.
11 :
Of course not. Since the kid will be too young to try and push his beliefs upon me, I see no point in pointing out his fallacies. The kid will eventually figure out reality anyway, with or without me.
12 :
NO.
13 :
Athiests aren't preachers like christians are, we don't use lies to decieve people to join our religion, athiesm isn't even an organized religion, just people who know god doesn't exist. Why would we take a pastoral job, such a waste of time!
14 :
What someone believes has no effect on reality so there would be no point... would there?
15 :
No, childhood is the time to believe in magic.
16 :
Eh. There's no point. If someones going to be an atheist, they'll find that conclusion on their own.
17 :
i wouldn't have the time or the patience to go to such extraordinary lengths. But in any case it wouldn't accomplish anything because it takes more intelligence to be an atheist. The idea of a god is comfortable to children, try explaining the theory of evolution to a 6 year old you might hit a wall. I don't want to be the guy that tells little kids their is no santa, and even if i did it wouldn't make any difference because even if they believed me for an hour, that little seed of doubt i planted would be drilled out of them by their parents. I really don't see why you consider it a moral question. Since when it is immoral to expose children to different points of view?
18 :
"Even if you aren't religious wouldn't this make you evil in logical terms or as some put it in terms of humanism wouldn't this be hateful acts to fellow humans?" I have never regarded telling people that imaginary sky elfs don't exist as a bad thing.. Having said that, unless a child asked me a question about, or raised the issue of, invisible space creatures, of which there is NO evidence, I wouldn't raise the issue. Hey, same as Santa and de Tooth Fairy. They all simply superstitious nonsense. Invisible space elfs were invented to keep the peasants occupied lest they realise this is all there is… and go mad. ~
19 :
As a theist don't you think the current Pope telling illiterate people with no concept of diseases that "Condoms spreads Aids", is all but murder in name. You see at least my example of anti humanism is a real case. I don't tell lies or slander others just because I disagree with them. Practicing Shaman... quantum physics rocks.
20 :
"Whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better for him if a millstone were hung around his neck and drown in the depth of the sea" Matthew 18:6
21 :
1. Not in the slightest. Why the hell would ANYONE do that? 2. Yes indeed, in my opinion 3. 5/10? At least they wouldn't be murdering or raping the mentally ill child.
22 :
Never I believe people have the right to believe what they want as long as they don't try to brainwash me
23 :
I don't try to talk people out of their beliefs as it is. I may share my own views, and if they are rude or mean, I may tell them what I think of their religion, but I've never tried to change anyone. It's none of my business what they believe.
24 :
Absolutely. The truth cannot be denied in favour of wild superstitions.
25 :
Imposing a Bronze Age Arabian death-dogma like Judaeo-Christo-Islam on children by using coercive threats of punishment & emotional blackmail is child abuse.




Read more discussions :