Thursday, October 8, 2009

if my child is no longer in college does his health insurance automatically terminate


if my child is no longer in college does his health insurance automatically terminate?

Insurance - 10 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You'll probably have to check with your provider. I'm currently doing an internship so I'm not technically in college even though I will be going back in a couple months. I had to buy a temporary policy to cover me for the 3 months that I'm out because my parents policy won't cover me if I'm out of school and working somewhere. I am, however, still on their auto insurance. I think it just depends on the provider.
2 :
My experience in this area: When my daughter quit going to college, and when it came time for my policy to renew, I received a letter informing me that she would no longer be covered. I assume from this that the insurance companies check for college enrollment on your renewal date.
3 :
Yes, If your child is not considered a full time student then the insurance company will drop them i have several friends who have had this problem.
4 :
Yes. And don't count on them to let you know your child is no longer covered. You could keep making monthly payments thinking you have it and when it comes time for them to pay up, you were in violation and the insurance is not in effect. If I were you, I would call your company and find out what your options are. Out of college, should be able to find a job with insurance.
5 :
You should check with the provider. In my case my children are covered as long as I can claim them as a dependent on my federal tax return. For me it has nothing to do with being a full time student.
6 :
in some cases, it depends on the age of the child.
7 :
it depends on the plan, but usually... yes I know our plan covered the kids until they were 25 as long as they carried 9 units or more
8 :
As soon as the insurance gets wind of the stoppage of schooling, you bet it will! Seriously, they'd probably term his coverage by the end of the semester.
9 :
Maybe. How old is he? Some plans cover him up to 23 or 25 regardless of status. Some terminate immediately, if he's not a student. Speak with your insurance company or employer to find out for sure.
10 :
Normally you cannot cover dependent children unless they are a FT student. And even then, each company has their own cut off age, usually 23 to 25. If your child is no longer a student, I strongly suggest you purchase an individual policy for them. If a claim is submitted, the company will more than likely send you a letter asking for proof that they are a FT student. If you cannot provide the proof, the claim will be denied. You do not want to learn this the hard way, with hospital bills that are not covered and you are left responsible for the full amount. An individual policy will more than likely save you some money, too. By the way, if they have a job lined up that provides health insurance, you can purchase a short term policy that will cover them while they are waiting for the other coverage to start.



Read more discussions :