Monday, September 1, 2008

Health Insurance for child


Health Insurance for child?
Here is my situation: My divorce decree doesnt state who has to provide health insurance for my son, me or his mother. A while back before the divorce was final I asked my ex if she wanted me to put him on my health plan and she said that she had already put him on Medicaid. Ok end of story... at least I thought. The state she lives in said that since she applied for low income help, that they were going to force me to provide health insurance. Ok thats fine, I have no problem what so ever providing my son with health insurance. I talked to my health insurance provider and they put me of a family plan that will deduct an extra $100 out of my pay check. I checked around after I added him, and was told that I can open up aseparatee policy for him. That way its cheaper, not deducted out of my pay check, and will make it easier since he live out of state from me with his mother. Has anyone else done anything like this or been in this situation? What did you do? Add you child to your group plan through your job or opened up as separate policy? Blue Cross and Blue Shield is exactly who Im looking at. I already have them through my work, but are rates are kinda high due to other people abusing the system. I open up a seperate policy through the same company, and its loads cheaper & the ex and I can split costs as per the decree.
Marriage & Divorce - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I am going to say the group health plan is cheaper. If you go thru an insurance carrier to get an individual policy for a child, at least in Tx, it would be at least that each month, unless you go with an extremely high deductible, which would not be in the best interests for your child, or any medical expenses that usually you would have to 50% of anyways (in divorce decree support paper). But depending on what state you live in, I would say you should at least check around - I suggest Blue Cross Blue Shield and Unicare, go to their websites...
2 :
added my kids to my insurance through work; I can't imagine finding a separate policy that would be cheaper than adding him to your existing insurance.....but it was an insurance SALESMAN that told you that....



Read more discussions :