Friday, June 12, 2009

I'm a male, is my unborn child covered by my health insurance


I'm a male, is my unborn child covered by my health insurance?
Hello, I just found out my g/f is pregnant. I'm fortunate enough to have an employer who provides a really good health benefits package and i know my child will be covered once he is born.... BUT, my question is, in my agreement with the union,and my employer, I have full paid health insurance to all my legal dependants. Now, I know if I marry my g/f, she'd be covered too, and prenatal appointments and all that stuff is included. But, I dont want to marry her yet. Well not for insurance benefits atleast. I guess my question is, is it possible for her to be covered under my HMO simply because she is carrying my child. Not much for her, but for the prenatal visits to make sure my baby is fine =) Medical will not cover her because, they asked for the fathers name; and I barely, and i mean by a dollar or 2, make more than the maximum ammount that lets you qualify. If anybody has ever been in my situation, or has some information that would be helpful, please let me know...what you know, or have been tthrough. I would greatly appreciate that. thank you!
Other - Pregnancy & Parenting - 4 Answers
 

Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
In the eyes of insurance, your child does not exist. Any care up until the moment of birth is going to your girl friend.
2 :
Unfortunately, she is not your dependant and because your child isn't born yet, s/he isn't either. Your insurance won't cover any cost until after your child is born. When your child is born you can put the child as a dependant.
3 :
You going to have to ask a representative from your employers insurance carrier just what the parameters are for this scenario - but I frankly doubt that without a formal marriage license, your unborn child will be covered.
4 :
Once the baby is born, he/she will be considered your dependant, so it would make sense that the baby would be covered. Your best bet would be to call your insurance company first thing in the a.m. and ask them. All plans are different, as are all state laws.




Read more discussions :