Wednesday, June 24, 2009

What needs to be done to prove guardianship for grandchild who is the child of a teenage mother


What needs to be done to prove guardianship for grandchild who is the child of a teenage mother?
My 15 year old daughter just had a baby. To get the child covered on my health insurance they are telling me that I have to prove that I have guardianship of the child. How is this done?
Other - Pregnancy & Parenting - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
You can find a paper online and print it out, fill it out, and have it notarized. Just look up the paper you are trying to find, there are million's of websites with that kind of stuff.
2 :
Your daughter would have to give you guardianship. It would be best to go through a lawyer for this.
3 :
You have to go to Family and Children Services or Human Resources and have your daughter sign a form for 'Third Party Guardianship', meaning both you and her are 'guardians'. My mother did this with my grandmother when I was young to receive my grandmothers benefits. Good luck!
4 :
You would have to go to court to obtain guardianship of the child. Otherwise, the mother is the guardian even though she is a minor. I would call back and consult with someone else, though. The person you spoke with might just be misinformed of the requirements in such a situation, though in a lot of instances insurance will not cover a minor's pregnancy nor the child on a current policy. You may have to get the child his/her own policy.





Read more discussions :