Tuesday, December 8, 2009

How do I become a child advocate


How do I become a child advocate?
What classes should I take? I'm assuming they have to be in social work, psychology, child development, maybe even health/social relations. But, how do I know exactly what I need to take? What degree am I going for? I'm in Chicago, so what universities are good for a career in child advocacy? I don't know what else to ask, but any information in how to become a child advovate would be greatly helpful. Thanks.
Special Education - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It sounds like you need courses in both special education and social work. I would contact ASAH, an organization that helps people with special needs youngsters, and ask them what they suggest. Good luck...it's a job that requires patience, and a lot of love...but the results can be life changing.
2 :
First you can actually learn a lot online. Start with the spec ed laws at www.idea.ed.gov www.nichcy.org go to the fed health and human service website see children. Good luck and good for you!!
3 :
Check-out the training that Child Advocacy organizations give in their volunteers. For a list of internet resources regarding Child Advocacy, check out the LINKS posted in my Yahoo Group's links page . See the link below:




Read more discussions :