Tuesday, February 24, 2009

What if I don't want my child on my health insurance until he's 26


What if I don't want my child on my health insurance until he's 26?
How many 26 year olds still need to be on Mommy and Daddy's insurance? Even if you go to school full time, aren't most colleges a 4 year deal and you'd graduate by 22/23 max? Do you think parents need to be supporting their children into their mid-twenties? *provisions in the health care bill include one to keep children on their parents health insurance until age 26.* Ok, do you want your 30 year old adult child on your health insurance and dependent upon you? Where do you stop being the enabler and start letting a child face some tough choices of do what you have to or there will be consequences?
Parenting - 15 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
26 year old male needs to be doing grown man things, not depending on his parents. How is he supposed to eventually provide for his future fam? My parents have given me until I graduate [22] to get off their insurance. There's no problem in helping him out, but insurance... he needs to be able to buy some on his own.
2 :
That's insane. A 26 - year - old is a grown adult, not someone who should be dependent on Mommy and/or Daddy. Unless my son (forbid) ends up having some kind of serious medical problem that prevents him from supporting himself, he will not be on my insurance at 26. I was paying my own way before 19. If I can do it, so can he.
3 :
Unfortunately, statistics show that it is becoming increasingly more common for children to remain a dependant on their parent until AFTER their thirtieth birthday- I know plenty of 26 year olds who have been through University and have been unable to find a job! I was almost one of them! I was only able to find a job because I was prepared to take ANYTHING- I found a job in childcare, that's a far cry from the job I had studied for (microbiologist), I'll be staying in the human services and public servitude industries- they pay better and there is a LOT more work available.
4 :
i think that is ridiculous unless the child is still at mind a child. if he/she had a disability and couldn't work to get their own insurance. however a healthy 26 year old needing to be on mom and dads insurance is absurd. i am 24 with 2 soon to be 3 children and have had my own insurance since i was 18. i started working got my own and then once i got married i was put on my husbands along with the children. it can be done and should be.
5 :
Wow... I've had my own health insurance since 19...I'm 26 now, so would that mean my parents could cover my daughter too?? That'd be so weird! Sad enough I do see people on fb I went to highschool with who are my age and are still dependants going to college ( for 4 yr degrees ) as for my child, I dunno I wouldn't mind having her on my group insurance, but I would make her pay by 21
6 :
...I think having health insurance into my mid twenties would have been nice. I mean if you don't need it that's great but the age of financial stability and keeps getting later and later. It seems like there's lots of people i know that have a degree and are still working some random small time job because they cant get a job. I couldn't get financial aid to go to college until i was 24 because my parents wouldn't pay for it (and neither could i), but i had to include their income to qualify. If they're going to set up ANYTHING in the system so that you depend on your parents into your twenties then lets extend some benefits as well. If they didn't expect you to be under your parents to get money for school so that you could get that great job then i would say that extending health insurance wouldn't be needed.
7 :
If your child doesn't have their own health insurance, wouldn't you want to keep them on yours as long as possible? This is the health of your child you are talking about. Yes, a 26 year old should be supporting themselves and not relying on their parents, but isn't the health of your child the most important thing in the world, and isn't everything else, including the fact that the child may be a bum or a mooch, second to that?
8 :
Ours insurance says they can be on the insurance till they are 24. It doesnt cost any more to have them on the policy. If they werent on the policy it would cost them an enormous amount to buy their own unless they are provided it through employment. I think its wonderful. If there is anything I can do to help my child stay in college and be healthy and worry free I am doing it. As for time...most 4 year degrees take 5 years unless you go summers. And these days a bachelors program doesnt get you a job, you have to continue and get a ms or even phd. I dont think allowing your son to stay on your insurance is "supporting" him financially. Supporting him would be paying his tuition, living expenses, books, recreation etc.
9 :
What's the big deal? if it costs more money for you, simply ask him to come up with the difference.Health insurance, bought privately is expensive and a lot of jobs do not offer it.I would keep them on my policy.If it costs me more and I feel as though I am supporting my "adult child", I would simply ask for the difference and co payback.It would be cheaper for them yet they are still covered.
10 :
you never know some people mature slower, some might have special needs, it can come in handy if you are going to grad school.
11 :
No. Parents should not support their kids. But, if my kid was still in school and wanted to be on my insurance, I would require my kid to pay me the premium for his or her insurance.
12 :
That's ridiculous, the government has no business mandating such a thing of insurance companies. if the insurance companies want to elect to allow people to claim their kids on their insurance for that amount of time, that should be up to the insurance companies, not the government.
13 :
This is one of the things about the health care bill that doesn't infuriate me. Rather, it reinforces my opinion that this bill isn't thought through anywhere near well enough. It's literally being passed for political power reasons. Private insurance plans have covered dependent children up to the age of 24/25 for a long time. My father's plan would have covered me until then. I graduated and got a job 5 months later. It wasn't a great job, but it did have health insurance. But I don't think I was taking advantage of anyone by staying on the plan while I was in school. I don't see paying for your child's health insurance while they are in school full time as coddling them. Having the government mandate it however? Nah. Colleges do offer minimal health coverage. You're not allowed to waive the coverage unless you have your own I believe. It's been 14 years...I can't remember 100% for sure.
14 :
I didn't take any time off or any extra years and did not graduate law school until i was 24. My husband didn't take time off (did add two extra years because he transferred schools after his masters degree and had to start over at his new school), and didn't get his phd until he was 27. and he still finished before our good friend who took no time off but was getting an md/phd. the new health care bill wouldn't *require* people to keep their kids on their plan after they are adults, but would allow them to. it provides some option where parents are okay with it for the many of us who got advanced degrees and did not yet have a full-time job with benefits, so really needed the insurance coverage from somewhere during that period. what's wrong with that? surely that option should come from somewhere? it would be pretty ironic if all our future doctors were going without health insurance. 30% of young adults are uninsured. http://www.ncsl.org/issuesresearch/health/healthinsurancedependentstatus/tabid/14497/default.aspx That needs a correction, don't you think? It's not new, either ... 30 states already have similar legislation.
15 :
Ok i have mixed emotions on this. I am all in favor of people being adults and not staying with their parents forever. However I have been paying rent and living on my own since 19 and because of that I could not afford to go to school full time and did not graduate until 26. I know many people who also did not graduate until later in their 20's . The 4 year degree is getting longer and longer as college prices rise and some people go part time to avoid or diminish their loan payment. I was in bind myself. The Federal government considers you a dependent of your parents until 22 in terms of assistance (grants, pell grants aide etc) unles you are married or have a child. I was single paying all my own bills and still had to use their income to fill out the FASFA and got very little aide because of it. So i could only go part time to college which then made me get dropped from my parents health insurance because you had to be a full time college student to get it till 22. I worked but my hourly wage job did not offer health insurance. I still have at almost 30 ER bills from back then in the thouasands of dolloars from being uninsured. I worked and went to school and could not afford primary care and made to much for Medicaid. It is a horrible place to be. I wanted to give up on school and eveything so many times. I think that allowing kids to stay on till 26 is a great idea because of my expericne. However I can see where some people would take advantage




Read more discussions :