Tuesday, September 28, 2010

how can I get my child treated with my H1B's job-based health plan


how can I get my child treated with my H1B's job-based health plan?
I have a chance to come to work in U.S. under H1B visa and my employer offers the job-based health plans for my family. But I have a problem that I can't make up my mind yet. One of my children has got a serious disease called HLH and has being treated in my home country, Vietnam. I believe that it would give my child a much better chance to recover if she is treated in U.S. However, according to my research, with the pre-existing condition, there will be an exclusion period up to 12 or 18 months before my child can be covered by the health insurance. Without the health insurance, it would be very expensive, but I don't know if I can afford it or not. If you have any ideas about the treatment expenses in US or how to deal with insurance issues similar to my case, please share it with me. Thank you very much! Lam. Can my child join the health plan while still staying in Vietnam? If yes, she can go to the US later when the exclusion period is over. Is it ok? Is there any medical assessments required for checking the pre-existing condition?
Immigration - 3 Answers



Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
If you are even allowed to bring in your child with such a serious and debilitating disease, you will have to pay for all treatment out of your own pocket. Plan on it costing at least 10 times more than it does in Vietnam. On an H1-b salary, you probably cannot afford the medical care. Consider that your child may be better off continuing treatment with existing medical professionals already familiar with the child. Also, the stresses of moving to a foreign country and culture often exacerbate medical conditions - moving itself can prove deadly! It is quite likely better for your child's health and welfare to stay at home and continue treatment in familiar surroundings with familiar doctors. Any US trained physician in Vietnam will stay up-to-date on the latest research available & you are bound to find them in Vietnam without having to subject the child to long-distance travel, visa requirements, and more hassles and expenses.
2 :
You need to check with the company's HR department, but in most cases new hire employees and their families are not subject to exclusions for preexisting conditions. This is provided they sign-up with the plan upon being hired. Usually, it's only if you wait until a following open enrollment period (once a year) that proof of insurability is required.
3 :
I would see if you can continue the insurance you have in Vietnam here in the US especially for your sick child. If you can, I wouldn't cancel it at all. When you go back home they may not re-instate/re-insure him.




 Read more discussions :