Thursday, May 1, 2008

IS THEY AN OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE IN THE HEALTH OF CHILDREN IN FAMILIES THAT HAVE BREASTFED AND BOTTLE FED KIDS


IS THEY AN OBVIOUS DIFFERENCE IN THE HEALTH OF CHILDREN IN FAMILIES THAT HAVE BREASTFED AND BOTTLE FED KIDS?
I have just had my first baby and I have been exclusively breastfeeding for 2months and I want to continue for as long as possible at until she is ready to be weened and if possible longer because I have heard about the benefits it has on the immune system and that it can minimise the amount of times a child is sick throughtout the year and that their ongoing health is usually better? Is there really such a significant result? 
Other - Pregnancy & Parenting - 4 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Obviously, no, it's probably not anything you'd notice with a small sample size (your kids and those you know). But studies (obviously looking at lots of people) have found some health differences overall.
2 :
I noticed a difference with my kids. My twins were formula fed, my son was breastfed. The girls got sick a lot more often as babies and had bunches of ear infections. My son hardly ever got sick as a baby and only had one ear infection that cleared up without any medicine on its own after a couple days. My girls have seasonal allergies, my son does not. Even now, as preteens, my girls tend to catch colds more easily than my son. Just something I've noticed. But in general, all 3 of the kids are very healthy. Studies have shown that breastfed babies are healthier and that it continues throughout their lives, not just while they are breastfed. There are always exceptions to everything, but overall, the evidence is there that it is best for baby. It is also great for you too- did you know breastfeeding can reduce your risks of breast cancer?
3 :
I don't know, for me this is a touchy subject as they keep going on about breast is best and they make you feel like a lousy mother if you don't breast feed your kid which is WRONG, I didn't as I had postnatal depression and took tablets, my sister did, her daughter has kiddie arthritis, she could also possibly be asthmatic and this will have nothing to go with it but she is so badly behaved I think she may have ADHD,. Do what is right for you and your child, I don't judge anyone however they chose to feed their child, if you want to carry on do so, but if you want to stop, don't let people make you feel lousy for doing so.
4 :
My kids were all bottle fed and yet they seem to get sick alot less than kids I know who were breastfed. They rarely miss school, rarely have any health problems. Then again I'm also one of those moms who isn't all into this anti-bacterial stuff. I don't buy antibacterial soaps or hand sanitizers. My kids play in the dirt, they are allowed to be kids. I'm also not into the heavy antibiotic use and make sure if I do have to take them to the doctor to find one that also doesn't overuse antibiotics in children. I try to avoid things like all that anit bacterial crap that alot of people use on a daily basis as I really do think that is the reason we have so many kids getting sicker. They've never really be exposed to the little things to build up their immunities.




Read more discussions :