Sunday, December 12, 2010

Should parents have final say on child's health


Should parents have final say on child's health?
I work in a health room for an elementary school. I am always having to walk a thin line between what school staff wants and what parents want. For example a student with a red eye is brought up to my room, for possible pink eye. I call home, mother says it is from student getting hit in eye by ball the day before and student is trying to go home. I believe the parent, and send the student back to class, but school staff, who is not over me at all the county health department is, says that I was wrong and they are taking him home. Shouldn't the adult parent have the final say on if the student should go home or not, especially if I, the trained professional sees no reason to disagree with the parent? I look like a teenager even though I am 27, and I think the school staff treats meet like a teenager instead of trusting me in doing my job. Could that be a part of it?
Parenting - 8 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
The parent should definately be trusted. However, the teacher probably sees it as better safe than sorry. I wouldn't be too offended.
2 :
i am with you, i am a nurse too and it makes you feel like you know nothing when others second guess you. If this mother was notorious for lying then sure, but if the kid backed up the story i see no need in making a child miss school for no reason. GOD BLESS!!!!!!!!!
3 :
I think the parent should have the say if you the professional agrees,and I'm sure that your age has something to do with it...I'm 21 and I own a successful furniture store, and it is sometimes hard for me to talk with bankers and other business people because they think I'm so "young" some of us are just wise beyond our years...good luck and don't sweat it.
4 :
your'e there to do your job which you are qualified for, i don't think they would like it if you tried to tell them how to teach the children, maybe thats something you should try, then they will know how it feels.
5 :
That is a hard question!!! Since you are the medical professional in the scenario, I think that YOU should have the final say on whether the child can stay in school. You know how some parents are....they will say their child is fine so they don't have to take time off from work, when in fact the child is not okay at all, and should be home. In the situation you mentioned, you looked at the child and talked with the parents. It should have been your call to make, not the school's.
6 :
If the school nurse (or health professional) says the child could possibly have an infectious disease (like pink eye) then the child needs to go home. It doesn't matter what the parents want. The school handbook says you can't be at school with infectious diseases.
7 :
I would think that if the parent knew that an accident took place and that is why the child's eye was red it should have been sufficient to keep the child in school.
8 :
ok the key is what is best for the child .. it isn't about who makes the final descision ..




Read more discussions :