Monday, February 16, 2009

Does anyone here pay for their Health Insurance (and child's Health Insurance) out of pocket


Does anyone here pay for their Health Insurance (and child's Health Insurance) out of pocket?
My husband, son and I have Blue Cross PPO (Anthem) and we've had this for 3 yrs. now (since getting married in 2006). In 2007 we increased our deductible when our son was born and added him to the policy. We originally had a $1,500 deductible, then after our son was born we changed it to $2,500 and added him to our policy. The Blue Cross plan is a Shared PPO, BUT the deductible is individual (we all have to meet the $2,500 individually before Blue Cross picks up the remainder). AND we have a $35 co-pay for Office Visits. Anyway, Blue Cross just increased our premium by $100 per month! for NO REASON! They just increased the premium at the beginning of the year (which they apparently did to everyone). So, now we're paying a little over $350 per month for our Blue Cross coverage with the same coverage that we were getting for $250 per month. So, we're thinking of increasing our deductible again! (if there is anything higher, ugh!) Anyway, my question is: Is $350 per month an 'average' amount to pay for a Shared PPO plan (for 3 people) with an individual $2,500 deductible? and a $35 co-pay for office visits? I am just curious what other people pay for their Health Insurance for their family (including children)? This coverage is NOT through an Employer, we pay strictly out of pocket. It has never been through an Employer, we signed up for the Policy independantly. Also, this Policy is strictly Health; it does not cover any dental or vision. I live in California, would that be a factor in the premium?
Newborn & Baby - 10 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
we have blue cross. our welness ded. is 2500 per year for myself, my husband and my daugther. they raised our monthly premium by 75 dollars. i asked them why, its because of your "wellness score". every 6 months they go through every file and determine a "risk factor" . the only way to chagne that is to increase your deductible. it sucks, but its worth it to have health insurance i suppose. it just makes me mad to see women that dont work and COULD BE WORKING and they get everything for free, including health insurance. ooo to be an american..
2 :
I've heard of people paying more than that. My dad paid around 500 dollars a month for just me and him with United health Care. But your deductible is really high for it being individual. My Fiance has BCBS of Tennessee and he pays 145 dollars a month and with a 1500 deductible, which I think is still high. I personally think BCBS is high in general though.
3 :
I pay 20 dollars for my health insurance through work Medicaid for my daughter, but if i had her for my insurance at work she would be an extra 50 a month. 350 is alot!
4 :
Sounds high to me. I have BC/BS PPO with no deductible and a $25 office copay. It is $1540 per quarter for a family regardless of how many dependants there are (so, a little over $500/mo). But, that $500/mo includes medical, dental, vision, and an accidental death policy. I have no idea how much it would be if it were just medical, but I imagine it would be close to what you are paying. But, the coverage is very different. Are you sure BC/BS upped the premium or is your employer simply paying less toward the coverage and passing on more of the cost to you?
5 :
My husband initially had us all on the same Blue Cross plan and it was around $400 a month. We found out though that if our daughter and I were on our own individual policy that it is way cheaper. I have no idea why but it is. Now we pay like $240 on our individual policy( for both health and dental) While, my husbands insurance is taken out of his paycheck. I believe our deductible is $1000 and our copay is $30.
6 :
I will be honest, I don't know much about insurance. This is what we deal with though: BBBS insurance through my husbands work, $2k deductible for the hospital, $250 deductible for the emergency room, and 25% co pay on any bill filed. Scripts are on a $250 deductible per person, per year. We have 3 kids, and him and I. He's paying $332 per month out of his pay for the insurance. And we are in a town of 26,000, in one of the cheapest places in the country to live....it is HIGH!!! Our $5400 tax return is almost ALL going to medical bills. I have to have my gallbladder out on the 20th, and even with insurance it's looking like it will run(after insurance) $1500 as an out patient procedure! They wouldn't cover a penny of my $2600 tubal! They said "we don't cover birth control, we make more if you keep getting pregnant".
7 :
We live in Canada, where in MOST provinces it is free. However, in British Columbia it is not completely free. My husband has all of us on his insurance through work, where they do pay a portion. He gets deducted $56 a month I believe for the 3 of us.
8 :
My husband has Atlantis Heals Insurance and we pay $350.00 per month for one person. And on top of it if he does not want to pay co-pays he has to go to the Atlantis clinic. Anyways after reading all answers I am thinking of canceling that coverage and buy something different - we are paying way too much for one person. Thanks for the nfo
9 :
My suggestion is trying to absorb as much information as you can before making up your mind,here http://www.HealthInsuranceIdeas.info/free-online-health-insurance.htm is a good one.
10 :
healthplans.my-age.net - my family have this health insurance. It is affordable and has good coverage for dental issues.



 Read more discussions :