Saturday, February 12, 2011

Can my little sis use her health insurance for birth control w/o parental knowledge


Can my little sis use her health insurance for birth control w/o parental knowledge?
My little sis wants to be on birth control. And I think its smart, she just turned 17, and has horrible irrgular periods. Mom flipped out when she asked her if she could go on it to regulate her periods. Its a few months later now, and she came to me for help. She has Blue Cross Blue Shield Child Health Plan, so doctor visits are only a 5 dollar co-pay and medicine (including BC is only a dollar per bottle.) I know that she is old enough to get it w/o her parents knowledge at any health clinic or what not. But can she go to her regular doc and get it. She has an appointment this afternoon that I'm taking her to, but when she gets the prescription filled will it show up on the insurance statement as birth control or will it just show as just a medication filling
Women's Health - 8 Answers
 


Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
It will show up.
2 :
Statement is going to go to the policy owner anyway. If she does, it won't stay a secret long.
3 :
It will show up...she can go to planned parenthood, they will give her the birth control pills for $5 and will not notify your parents.
4 :
Your sister's billing might show up as birth control.......so, I would suggest that she use the free agencies to get the free bc. There, she would be protected against any parental knowledge. If she goes to her reg MD, she can ask him/her for free samples to start...........and tell the MD that she does not want her parents to know.
5 :
Birth control typically is not covered by insurance. She's better off going to Planned Parenthood.
6 :
oh yeah it will show up. first of all shame on your mother. she needs to let your sister make that decision now for her self . come on the girl is 17. look to keep it on the down load take her to the health unit and get it all for free. that is what they are there for. and just say she just moved in with you. it won't hurt to tell a little fib. other than that i would tell your mother that you are going to take your sister with or without her and you are going to use the insurance. i went to the health unit since my parents were very religious and i had no support from them. i had bad menstrual cycles and the pill helped eliminate the pain and torture i had to go through for 5 years till i was 17. it is a touchy subject when parents look as the pills as a way for the girls to go have sex. i was getting it my cycle not to go out and have sex. so i wish you two the best. don't go today re-schedule the appointment and try today to convince mom and if it fails then you can go the other route. pills are 30-45 dollars a pack. the health unit is there to help.
7 :
My advice is call BC/BS and ask them they have a number on the card you can call for questions. If you want it to be completely anonymous though you are better off going to family planning, or planned parenthood they will give you low cost to free birth control and they will not share the information with any one.
8 :
Your sister is 17 years old. She is certainly old enough to understand that birth control will not protect her against HIV or any STD's so I see no reason why she should not go on birth control no matter the reason. I went on BC at 16 because I had horrific menstrual cramps and suffered for years. It was at that point that doctors recommended it to my mother. My mother cared more about getting rid of my paid than the worries of sex. As her sister and assuming you are much older which is why she is coming to you and assuming your mother is unreasonable, why not speak with mom about this issue. Clearly this issue has been brought up more than once. If not, go with your sister to her doctor to ensure her doctor's recommends this plan of action. I have to tell you that my OB/GYN told me that my pains were from cysts in my ovaries and that as soon as I had a baby the cysts would disappear. GUESS WHAT???!!! My doc was right. Sarah's delivery ripped the cysts right out of me and they never came back. My flow is very light, I am still fertile at 42 and I have absolutely no pain or PMS.




Read more discussions :